Sunday, February 21, 2016

087 Tuesday to Tuesday (Dec. 16-22, 2015)



We love to go to the Temple, and we look forward to finding new things each time we go that might deepen our understanding of what we are being taught. Every time we have a new film I learn so much. We went on Wednesday, the 16th, and I really had an epiphany. For the first time, I began to understand what it means for the Temple work to be so symbolic. Why do we dress as we do in the Temple? I’m just guessing that we cover ourselves from head to toe with the Priesthood, and its through the Priesthood that we are able to perform the ordinances needed to return to our Father.

I guess after so many tries, you are left with the best of the lot!  This is sad.
 Our Pathway class is over. On Thursday, we watched over the classes and reviewed what we had learned for the first semester. We started early so they could have food. It was so good. We had a wonderful class, and it was a great way to go out. We will miss this class. We are sad, but it is necessary. The Jepsons will be good, and they are so looking forward to it.

Early in the day, I finished my last proctoring of a test for one of our students from last year. What a great program, and it is from the Lord.

On Friday, we had a wonderful experience with the Salvation Army. We got to go help with families doing Christmas shopping. Last spring we spent time helping this organization pack up all the toys that were left from Christmas 2014. As we went in, Craig got to help out front checking those who came in and directing them to the right places. I think he also got to spend time talking to lots of those who were volunteering. I got to line up with a grocery basket by me and then as a person came in with the paperwork, they checked it and gave it to me to take the person shopping. The paper had listed the number of children and their ages. I did not suggest anything, and some of the mothers (which is all I had) knew exactly what they were looking for as shopping. We were told that they could not ask for anything, but several of the shoppers I saw did just that. There were some who had been there before and were more aggressive in asking for stuff. Most of those I worked with were really sweet, and they were very grateful for what they got. There were some really nice gifts, many contributed by the Marine Corps. 
Signing in to help
Preparing items to be selected

This is a Marine-sponsored activity























While there, Craig had managed to meet one of the last survivors of the Tuskegee Airmen.. He came around and introduced me to him. I don’t remember his name, but he was 91, and you would have thought he was no older than 75-80. What a wonderful man, so humble, yet so strong in his love for this country. He was grateful for what those men were capable of doing. It took 40 years for our country to recognize their contribution and give them the medals they deserved.

What a nice guy!
One of the other men Craig introduced me to was a member from the Kenosha Ward who was a Marine and who was helping with the shopping experience. This was such a great program. We are proud of our work with the Salvation Army.
Elder from Kenosha and a Marine to boot!  hahaha
On Sunday, we had a great Sunday program, and then that afternoon, we went to Racine and fed the homeless like we did earlier in the year. It was a little better organized this year, and we so enjoyed it. I was touched by one woman who told me that she was not happy that it was Christmas time because she would be all alone. I felt for her. 
Elder and Sister Smith Helping

Elder Jepson Getting Ready

I'm Mixing Lemonade

Getting food ready to serve

Socks appear to be a necessity





































Monday found us at our final dental appointment in Wisconsin. The dental hygienist is one I won’t miss. She loves to tell me that I never clean my teeth correctly. I brush those little boogers 2-3 times a day, use picks (not as much with the flossing which she hates), and am always using mouthwash. Evidently, I’m not very good at this. It always feels so good when she is finished, but it hurts.

We went by the Mission Office to pick up packages for Christmas, and we left them for Christmas. We also had to take a box to the Post Office where I was returning two skirts I had bought from a new company called She Traveled – started by returned missionaries for sister missionaries. Both were two big; one I didn’t like. So I returned both and asked that one be returned to me at a smaller size – love that!!!!

Tuesday, we were off to the Temple because our District Meeting had been changed to Wednesday at the last minute because it was going to be a Christmas meeting. We were sad that we would miss it on Wednesday because we were involved in the Salvation Army getting ready for the Christmas dinner to be held on the 25th. So we were off to the Temple and had to get back so that I could get a haircut that evening. It was another wonderful opportunity to strengthen our testimonies of the Temple.
I'd say this one is better than last time.
Have I said how much I love Christmas. We have been so busy this month that it is hard to believe that Christmas is here already. I love it.

Our Scripture for December:  Alma 32:41

But if ye will nourish the word, yea, nourish the tree as it beginneth to grow, 
by your faith with great diligence, and with patience, looking forward to the 
fruit thereof, it shall take root; and behold it shall be a tree springing up 
unto everlasting life

Elder and Sister Lenhard

No comments:

Post a Comment